Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Conceptual drawing

If the idea is the art in Conceptual Art, then is it possible to have Conceptual drawing? Yes -- and when I say Conceptual drawing I do not mean sketches or proposals of an idea, but where drawing is the act/performance of illustrating the idea itself. Without the drawing, the idea cannot be communicated.

Lately, I took a photo of a grave and did a drawing of it, but the drawing was less than satisfactory, even though the process was thoroughly enjoyable -- but that's another story.

Today, I returned to the photo of the grave, and I did a drawing on a photocopy of the photo. Drawing is the act of marking, and what I essentially did was to draw over an area of the grave. The area which was covered with grass is now a black void, and what I did was to photocopy my 'drawing' so that the work becomes a new photo/drawing.

The work is Conceptual because I was trying to hide existing form/space with my drawing, which turns the photo-image into a void/open grave. I was trying to question the idea of shape/space in a drawing, as well as to hide something...

what is hidden becomes an unknown (horror)...and the viewer does not notice (I hope) until I reveal what my 'drawing' actually is.

View works at http://solitudeandmemory.wetpaint.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment