Monday, November 16, 2009

The manipulation of images and other things




My previous series of work is entitled "Next Door", but I shan't talk about it here. Today's series is a continuation from the previous work.

I was thinking about the manipulation of images using a manual process (cutting, tearing, pasting, writing, drawing etc.) without the use of Photoshop. A physical, manual process as opposed to a clicking process. Perhaps it is about my instinct to draw, and to physically craft and make things.

In the first series of work, I cut out lines and shapes from the door and grille to explore aesthetics. In some ways, it is a violent act that I cannot (and would not like to) perform on the actual site.

After that, I explored the act of vandalism. I can vandalise on the same door infinite number of times so long as I can print the same image of the door. The interesting part is I actually 'copied' real graffiti that I had photgraphed from the streets...random sprays, loan shark scrawls...

Then I printed and cut out some suggestive images (girlie posters or massage advertisements) and tore them, and stuck them on the images of doors to make them look like street posters, to suggest the kind of activities that take place behind the doors of these back lanes.

The truth is I am still playing within the frame of the door. I am thinking of altering the environment next, instead of just the door.

There are infinite possibilities...

No comments:

Post a Comment